Aerobotics, Emerge Analytics and NuvaLaw, have been selected to join the international startup accelerator Startupbootcamp InsurTech in 2017. The South African startups were up against 20 other entrants and have gained the opportunity to collaborate with 400+ mentors, partners, and investors over a three-month period to build world class products, with the ultimate goal of becoming industry leading companies.
AlphaCode Gold Member Emerge Analytics together with Aerobotics and NuvaLaw were three of the 633 applications received by Startupbootcamp InsurTech following a call for applications from innovative early stage startups specialising in insurance. Startupbootcamp InsurTech scouted 2,500 startups from 50 countries and selected 23 startups, from 12 countries for Selection Days which took place on 29 and 30 November. Ten finalists were selected including the three South African startups.
Jaco Oosthuizen, Chief Exponential Officer, Exponential Ventures says, "I felt extremely proud that three South African teams made it into the top 10 of the Startupbootcamp InsurTech accelerator intake for 2017. We are proud to have been one of the original investing partners in the programme. The investment is not only of benefit to MMI Holdings and Exponential Ventures but is also starting to make a positive impact on the South African InsurTech ecosystem which has the potential to make a global impact. Thank you to Sabine VanderLinden and the team at Startupbootcamp InsurTech for their dedication to the startups and partners on the programme".
Sabine Van der Linden, Managing Director for Startupbootcamp InsurTech, “At Startupbootcamp InsurTech, we are very proud to work closely with Exponential Ventures' expert team because of its clear insight on trends that will affect the insurance market and its ability to respond quickly to startups' demands and needs.”
"I am also delighted to see three South African startups entering Startupbootcamp London 2017 InsurTech programme, proof that our programme truly attracts talents from all around the globe. These startups deliver very unique and diverse propositions from legal dispute management and drone-enabled algorithmic predictions to highly accurate machine learning based assessments. We look forward to working with these entrepreneurs and helping them accelerate their venture," says Van der Linden.
The three-month programme will expose the startups to: • Expert-led sessions covering all scaling fundamentals - from business model canvas, lean methodology to fundraising • Connections to the leading corporates in the industry for pilot projects, partnership opportunities, and as customers • Access to a global network of mentors, corporate partners, industry experts, and alumni across 40+ countries • Over 1000 carefully selected mentors from InsurTech industry who provide hands-on support and valuable introductions • Free desks for the entire team in a dynamic coworking space for the duration of the three-month programme • £15K in cash per team to cover living expenses during the programme • More than €450K+ in exclusive partner deals from leading technology providers such as Google, Amazon, Salesforce, PayPal, SendGrid, and others • Continued post-program support after the three-month programme through annual alumni-only events, deals and tailored introductions • Exclusive opportunities to take part in leading InsurTech conferences and events • Meet most active VCs and Angel investors in the industry from around the world • A day to celebrate your achievements during the program with 400+ investors, corporates, mentors and press attendees
Further information on the 10 startups going into the Startupbootcamp InsurTech 2017 programme.
- New York, United States
- Risk data is spread across disparate sources making it daunting to apply across value chains. Adapt Ready’s software transforms risk big data into actionable intelligence & enables customers to minimise losses.
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Aerobotics develops an end to end drone solution that provides key actionable data to the farming industry.
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Emerge Analytics extracts profit from corporate data using machine learning and process analytics.
- London, United Kingdom
- Insure A Thing protects the things you love – without the fine print, without the tricks.
- Kalmar, Sweden
- A 3D-sensor-based machine learning application to classify whiplash symptoms and prevent insurance fraud.
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Nuvalaw co-creates B2B ecosystems that process legal information efficiently.
7. Port - London, United Kingdom - Port is a cloud-based, API driven, personal data management platform that gives consumers control and visibility of their data, and organisations the tools to create better GDPR compliant relationships.
- Madrid, Spain
- Sharenjoy is the first Social Microinsurance: simple, collaborative, low cost and 100% mobile. The characteristics that make it ideal for new consumers of the 21st century.
- Stockholm, Sweden
- TikkR is an on-demand digital insurance platform! TikkR protects you and the things you care about for just the moment you need it! Goodbye long term multiple contracts! TikkR’s ultimate goal is to understand your lifestyle and then predict and protect your moments automatically.
- London, United Kingdom
- TrackActive’s ‘Telematics for Rehab’ solution provides better care at lower cost for insurers that detects engagement, reports on adherence, and places accountability on patients and their health practitioners
About Startupbootcamp InsurTech Launched in 2015, Startupbootcamp InsurTech is a global accelerator based in London that focuses on disruptive and collaborative insurance innovation. Its intensive three-month program provides startups with mentorship, an extensive network of insurers, angel investors, and VCs, and other valuable resources to enable them to collaborate with an ecosystem of market experts and to design unique propositions that provide solutions for the insurance market. Startupbootcamp InsurTech’s partners include Admiral, Allianz, ERGO, Exponential Ventures, HDI, Intesa Sanpaolo, Lloyds Banking Group, LV=, Metropolitan, MJ Hudson, MMI Holdings, Momentum, Munich Re, PwC, Route66 Ventures, Scottish Widows, Swiss Re, Talanx, Tryg, and UnipolSai. It is part of the global award-winning Startupbootcamp, a network of industry-focused startup accelerators.
About Startupbootcamp Founded in 2010, Startupbootcamp is a global accelerator network with 15 programs in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Istanbul, London, Miami, Mumbai, New York, Rome, and Singapore, and a 3,000+ strong mentor and alumni network in more than 30 countries. More than 330 startups have been accelerated by Startupbootcamp worldwide, raised over €150 million and achieve a combined valuation of more than €500 million. 80% of these startups are still active.
About Exponential Ventures Exponential Ventures is a disruptive innovation capability powered by MMI Holdings Limited. Exponential Ventures explores scaler opportunities where technology-based businesses, which when combined with MMI’s assets, show meaningful potential to rapidly generate exponential growth in revenue and profit. It looks for optimiser opportunities where technology-based businesses have the potential to deliver significant efficiencies for MMI’s existing business. Exponential Ventures pursues venture developer opportunities that reach new markets, meet new needs, leverage new business models and show the potential to fundamentally disrupt the insurance market space over longer time horizons.